10 June 1916 - 22 September 1932
Incorporated into Saudi Arabia
to Middle East Index
- Hejaz was part of the Ottoman Empire
from August 1517 until 10th June 1916 when it declared its independence
as the Hejazi Kingdom.
- In 1917, Hejaz gave the Farasan Islands to 'Asir in exchange for al-Qunfudhah.
- On 10th August 1920, its independence was recognised with the
signing of the Treaty of Sèvres.
- On 19th December 1925, Hejaz was occupied by Nejd.
- On 8th January 1926, Hejaz was unofficially annexed by Nejd.
- On 20th November 1930, 'Asir
was incorporated into Hejaz.
- On 22nd September 1932, Nejd and Hejaz
were unified as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Back to Homepage