Federation of South Arabia
4 April 1962
- 30 November 1967
Federation of states under British protection
Incorporated into Yemen
to Middle East Index
- On 4th April 1962, the Federation of Arab
Emirates of the South became the Federation
of South Arabia.
- It comprised the states of 'Aqrabi, 'Awdhali,
Bayhan, Dali', Dhatina, Fadhli, Lahej, Lower 'Awlaqi, Lower
'Awlaqi (Sheikhdom) and Wahidi.
- On 18th January 1963, the British colony of Aden joined
the federation as the State of Aden.
- On 30th March 1963, Hawshabi and Sha'ib joined the
- In June 1964, Upper 'Awlaqi (Sultanate) joined the
- In 1965, 'Alawi and Maflahi joined the federation.
- On 30th November 1967, the federation achieved full
independence from Britain, joining the Protectorate of South
Arabia to become South
- Today, the area is part of
the Republic of Yemen.
Back to Homepage