Existed: 1914 - 20 November 1930
Incorporated into Saudi Arabia and part of Yemen
to Middle East Index
- In 1914, the Emirate of 'Asir declared independence from
the Ottoman Empire.
- In 1917, al-Qunfudhah was given to Hejaz in exchange for the Farasan Islands.
- In January 1921, Port Hodeida was ceded to 'Asir by Britain.
- In 1926, came under the control of Nejd.
- On 20th November 1930, 'Asir was incorporated into Hejaz (itself under Nejd control) which later became part of Saudi Arabia.
- On 20th November 1934, Saudi Arabia ceded some of 'Asir to North Yemen.
- Today, 'Asir comprises part of Saudi Arabia, and part of Yemen.
Back to Homepage