- 18 January 1963
British settlement (later colony)
Incorporated into Yemen
to Middle East Index
- In 1838, the Sultan of Lahej ceded the port
city of Aden and a small area of land surrounding it to Britain.
- British troops occupied the area on 19th January 1839.
administered as part of British-ruled India and was known as the Aden
- In 1857, the settlement was enlarged with the addition of
island of Perim, and again in 1868 with the addition of the Khuriya
Muriya Islands and Little Aden.
- In 1915, the island of Kamaran became part of the
- On 1st April 1937, administration of the Aden
Settlement was transferred from India, and it became the Aden Colony.
- On 18th January 1963, the Aden Colony was incorporated
in the Federation
of South Arabia as the State of Aden. This
federation later became South
- Today, Aden is part of the Republic of Yemen.
Back to Homepage