1833 - 1 January 1960
Divided into 3 independent nations and 3 British overseas
The Leewards Islands colony first existed from 1671 to
1816. It was reformed in 1833.
It consisted of the islands of Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda,
the British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Montserrat, Nevis and St.
In 1940, Dominica left the Leeward Islands to become part
of the Windward Islands.
In 1956, its name changed from the Federal Colony of the
Leeward Islands to the Territory of the Leeward Islands. Also
this year Antigua & Barbuda and Montserrat left to become
3rd January 1958, the British Virgin Islands left the Leeward Islands
to become a separate territory. The remaining islands of
Anguilla, Nevis and St. Christopher were incorporated into the West Indies Federation.
Antigua & Barbuda and Montserrat rejoined the Leeward Islands
within the Federation.