27 October 1971 - 17 May 1997
Independent nation - Democratic Republic of the Congo
- On 1st July 1960, the Belgian Congo gained independence as the Republic of the Congo.
- On 11th July 1960, the province of Katanga
seceded from the Republic of Congo and declared itself an independent
nation. It was reincorporated into the Republic of the Congo on 14th January 1963.
- On 1st July 1966, the country was renamed the Democratic Republic of
the Congo to avoid confusion with a neighbouring country, the former
French colony also calling itself the Republic of Congo.
- On 27th October 1971, the Democratic Republic of
the Congo was renamed Zaïre.
- On 17th May 1997, the country once again became the Democratic Republic of