14 December 1878 - 28 February 1994
British protectorate, then South African territory
Capital: Walvis Bay
Incorporated into Namibia
- Formerly claimed by Portugal and the Netherlands, the area
around Walvis Bay was officially annexed by Britain on 14th December
1878 as the Walvis Bay Protectorate.
- Walvis Bay lay approximately 400 miles north of the Cape Colony, surrounded by South West Africa to the north, east and south, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west.
- On 7th August 1884, Walvis Bay was incorporated
into the Cape Colony
(from 31st May 1910 part of South Africa).
- On 1st October 1922, administration of Walvis Bay was transferred to South West Africa.
- On 1st September 1977, Walvis Bay was reincorporated into South Africa.
- On 15th January 1993, Walvis Bay came under joint Namibian/South African control.
- At midnight on 28th February 1994, Walvis Bay was
transferred to Namibia.