20 July 1922 - 27 April 1964
League of Nations mandate, UN Trust Territory, then independent nation
Dar es Salaam
Incorporated into Tanzania
- On 30th May 1919, a treaty was signed between Britain and
Germany, transferring most of German East Africa to British control.
- On 20th July 1922, this land became a British-controlled League of Nations mandate called Tanganyika.
- On 11th December 1946, Tanganyika became a United Nations Trust Territory, administered by Britain.
- On 1st May 1961, Tanganyika gained self-rule.
- On 9th December 1961, Tanganyika gained independence.
- On 27th April 1964, Tanganyika was merged with Zanzibar to become the United Republic of Tanganyika & Zanzibar.
changed its name on 29th October 1964 to become the United Republic of