29 January 1900 - 9 De 1964
British protectorate, then colony
Independent nation - Zimbabwe
- On 29th January 1900, the British protectorate of Rhodesia was split into the
separate protectorates of North-Eastern
Rhodesia and Southern Rhodesia.
- On 21st September 1923, the administration of Southern
transferred to the British government by the British South Africa
Company. Southern Rhodesia became a British colony.
- On 1st August 1953, Southern Rhodesia joined Northern Rhodesia
and Nyasaland to
become the Federation
of Rhodesia & Nyasaland
(also known as the Central African Federation).
- On 31st December 1963, the federation was dissolved and
Southern Rhodesia become a separate colony again.
- On 9th December 1964, shortly after Northern Rhodesia
achieved independence as Zambia, Southern Rhodesia changed its name to Rhodesia.
- Today, the area of Southern Rhodesia is the independent
nation of Zimbabwe.