1879 - 10 September 1974
Portuguese colony, then overseas province
Independent nation - Guinea-Bissau
- Portugal had claimed the area of Portuguese Guinea
since 1446 and was administered as part of its Cape Verde colony.
- In 1879, the settlements of Bissau and Cacheu were separated from
Cape Verde and combined to become the colony of Portuguese Guinea.
- On 11th June 1951, Portuguese Guinea became on overseas province of Portugal.
- On 24th September 1973, Portuguese Guinea declared its independence from Portugal as the Republic of Guinea-Bissau.
- On 10th September 1974, Potugal recognised the independence of Guinea-Bissau.