Orange Free State
23 February 1854 - 31 May 1902
Incorporated into South Africa
- On 23rd February 1854, Boer settlers founded the Orange
Free State (Oranje
- On 28th May 1900, during the Second Boer War, the Orange
Free State was annexed by Britain.
- On 4th January 1901, it became known as the Orange River Colony.
- The signing of the Treaty of Vereeniging on 31st May 1902
ended the war and officially gave control of the territory
to Britain as the Orange River Colony.
- The Orange Free State is now the Free State Province within the independent Republic of South Africa.