17 August 1911 - 24 October 1964
(1911-1935); Lusaka (1935-1964)
Independent nation - Zambia
to Africa Index
Back to Homepage
The flag above has been
taken from the FOTW Flags Of The World website at http://flagspot.net/flags/.
- On 17th August 1911, the British protectorates of North-Eastern Rhodesia
Rhodesia were merged to form
the protectorate of Northern Rhodesia.
- On 1st April 1924, the administration of Northern Rhodesia
transferred to the British government by the British South Africa
- In 1935, the capital of Northern Rhodesia was moved from
Livingstone to the more central city of Lusaka.
- On 1st August 1953, Northern Rhodesia joined Nyasaland and Southern Rhodesia to
become the Federation
of Rhodesia & Nyasaland
(also known as the Central African Federation).
- On 31st December 1963, the federation was dissolved and
Northern Rhodesia become a separate protectorate again.
- On 22nd January 1964, Northern Rhodesia gained self-rule.
- On 24th October 1964, Northern Rhodesia achieved
independence from the United Kingdom as the Republic of Zambia.