28 September 1843 - 31 May 1910
Incorporated into South Africa
to Africa Index
Back to Homepage
The flag above has been
taken from the FOTW Flags Of The World website at http://flagspot.net/flags/.
- On 12th May 1843, Britain captured the Boer Republic of Natalia.
- On 28th September 1843, this became the British colony of Natal.
- On 31st May 1844, Natal became a district of the Cape Colony.
- On 4th December 1845, Natal again became a separate colony.
- On 10th May 1893, Natal gained self-rule.
- On 1st December 1897, Zululand was incorporated into Natal.
- On 31st May 1910, the Natal was united (as the Natal Province) with the Cape Colony, the Orange River Colony and Transvaal to become the Union of South Africa.
- The Natal Colony now consists of most of the Kwa-Zulu Natal Province within the independent Republic of South Africa.