26 April 1860 - 4 January 1969
province of Spain
Capital: Sidi Ifni
- The Treaty of Tangiers, signed on 10th September 1844
forced Morocco to cede
the city of Sidi Ifni to Spain.
- On 26th April 1860, Spain formally took control of Ifni.
- On 3rd April 1884, Ifni was incorporated into Spanish West Africa.
- On 12th November 1912, Ifni became a Spanish protectorate.
- Although legally Spanish, there was no real Spanish
presence until 6th April 1934.
- In 1952, Ifni was reincorporated into Spanish West Africa.
- In 1957, Moroccan troops attacked Ifni but were repulsed by
- On 12th January 1958, Ifni became an overseas province of Spain.
- Ifni was returned to
Morocco on 4th January 1969.