15 November 1908 - 30 June 1960
Independent nation - Democratic Republic of the Congo
- On 15th November 1908, the Belgian King Léopold II's private colony, Congo Free State, was ceded to Belgium and renamed Belgian Congo.
- On 1st July 1960, the country gained independence from Belgium as the Republic of the Congo.
- On 11th July 1960, the province of Katanga seceded from the Republic of Congo and declared itself an independent nation. It was reincorporated into the Republic of the Congo on 14th January 1963.
- On 1st July 1966, the country was renamed the Democratic
Republic of the Congo to avoid confusion with a neighbouring country,
the former French colony also calling itself the Republic of Congo.
- The country was renamed Zaïre in 1971, although it became the Democratic Republic of the Congo again in 1997.